Recaps, Choir Pictures, Spring Concert & Banquet, Auditions
Recap: State MPA
We are so proud of the hard work and discipline that each member of our choir family dedicated to make State festival one of our most valuable (and memorable) experiences all year! Each choir delivered, and upheld the high standard expected, from beginning to advanced! Each member contributed to their choir family as a united front, clapping and supporting each other every step of the way. Congratulations, WOHS Choirs!
Recap: Noise Complaint at NACC
Noise Complaint delivered a powerful and striking performance as they were selected to compete in the high school invitational for the National A Cappella Convention. Their competition set portrayed today's reality of gun violence in a public school setting. Their performance was executed with such passion and purpose, and left the audience moved and in awe. Their courage and strength in bringing such a strong message to a nationally public setting was met with much admiration. Congratulations, Noise Complaint and bravo to Abigail Urton for taking home the award for best female soloist!
Recap: Festival Mixed Choir at Festival Disney
West Orange's newest choir, Festival Mixed Choir, competed at Festival Disney this past year. This choir consists of select students from Women's Glee and Male Chorus who devoted additional after-school rehearsals and weekends to learning extra music. All of their hard work proved to be successful, as they took home the award for Superior choir, Best in Class, as well as the Gold ranking! Congratulations, Festival Mixed Choir!
Choir pictures will be taken this Friday, May 11th, during classes. Students, please bring uniform. Order forms are in choir room as well HERE.
Spring Concert & Banquet
Next week is our dress rehearsal (5/17), Spring Concert (5/18), and Banquet (5/19). We will be looking for chaperones for Thursday's dress rehearsal from 10:30 am to 7 pm. Please e-mail Dr. Redding by this Friday (email@example.com). Spring Concert ticket cost will be announced next week. We will need volunteers to help set up with our banquet. It will be in the cafeteria from 10:30-2:30, and we will need help with picking up food/utensils, setting up tables, serving food, clean-up, etc. If available, please e-mail both Dr. Redding (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Mr. Yasay (email@example.com) by this Friday. Thank you!
Audition Dates and Procedures for 2018-2019
Monday, May 21
· During class periods - written assessment (IPA, key signatures, solfege, counting)
· After-school – WOMEN ONLY – sight-reading assessments (learn music quickly in group rehearsal, and sing learned music in quartets/octets alongside graduating members of advanced choirs)
Tuesday, May 22
· After-school – MEN ONLY – sight-reading assessments (same procedure as women)
Wednesday, May 23
· During class periods – choir rosters posted in choir room – INITIAL BY NAME
· After-school – first rehearsal for 2018-2019 auditioned choirs – MANDATORY
Thursday, May 24
· Noise Complaint auditions – sing one minute of a pop/contemporary song that BEST features your voice (we are looking for strong, soulful, and agile/flexible voices)
· Sign up for time slot by May 23 (sign-ups go up May 14)
Friday, May 25
· During class periods – Noise Complaint roster posted in choir room – INITIAL BY NAME
· After-school – first rehearsal for 2018-2019 Noise Complaint – MANDATORY
Noise Complaint Summer Rehearsal Schedule (subject to change)
· June 18-21: 9:30-2:30
· June 25-28: 9:30-2:30
· July 23-26: 9:30-2:30 [TENTATIVE]
· July 30-August 2: 9:30-2:30 [TENTATIVE]
· August 6-10: 9:30-2:30 (Teacher pre-planning, student-led rehearsals)